Comparison of average wages between Spokane and King Counties
August 16, 2011 Leave a comment
A sample of job categories was selected from the Workforce Explorer web site for Industry Trends. A few were dropped out because the job category did not exist in both counties.
- Most Spokane County workers are paid less and professional high skilled private sector workers are paid a lot less.
- While we have come to expect lower pay in Spokane, some of the differences are shocking.
|Occupation||Spokane||King County||Spokane Pay|
|Police and Sheriff||64560||72205||-11%|
|Zoologists and wildlife biologists||57261||62254||-8%|
|Private Sector Jobs|
|Science and Technology|
|Software engineer, apps||70504||94071||-25%|
|Software engineer, systems||74135||99318||-25%|
|Law & Business|
|Reporters and correspondents||40346||54105||-25%|
|Sheet metal worker||35946||57792||-38%|
|Cooks, all other||23731||29322||-19%|
|Bus and truck mechanic||42489||51252||-17%|
|Hairdresser, stylist, cosmetologist||33459||32702||2%|
|Mobile heavy equip. mechanic||41968||59303||-29%|
Wage data from the State’s Workforce Explorer Industry Trends section.
- Education sector pays about the same.
- Government and health care pay some what less.
- Private sector highly educated workers are paid remarkably less.
- Those considering moving to Spokane need to consider the income ramifications of their career sector.
- At present pay levels, there will not be a science or technology cluster in Spokane. With extraordinarily low pay, Spokane will have difficulty attracting high quality scientists and engineers needed to create a regionally or nationally competitive science and technology cluster.
- At present pay levels, the same issue impacts creation of national classes businesses.
- “Editors” average is about the same in both counties. This may account for why there is little news coverage of the chronic low wage problem in Spokane – low wages do not affect them! But reporters’ pay – ick!
- Spokane, King County and Washington inflation adjusted household median income charts (inlandnw.wordpress.com)
- STA Votes To Approve Electric Trolley (inlandnw.wordpress.com)
- Spokane’s economic plan du jour (inlandnw.wordpress.com)
- Spokane Airport passenger traffic update (inlandnw.wordpress.com)
- Spokane Median Income Growth Rate (inlandnw.wordpress.com)
- Percent of Spokane High School Seniors Taking the SAT Exam (inlandnw.wordpress.com)